Thursday, February 21, 2013

Unit II- Group-based/ Cooperative Learning Environments

Cooperative learning environments was the hot topic the past few weeks.  Several strategies were introduced in this unit and include the Guided Design process, Cooperative Learning strategies, Problem-Based learning (PBL), and Situated Cognition such as Cognitive Apprenticeship.  The key similarities I found are simply the positive outcomes or advantages as a result of group-based learning environments.  This type of learning builds student individual interest, teaches positive relationships and interpersonal skills, and requires integration of knowledge.  Importantly the strategies are a motivator to learn and the positive outcome is relevant when preparing students for the world of work. 
The Guided Design process, PBL, and Situated Cognition all are designed for real-world knowledge or authentic issues.  These strategies are most commonly used for high school, university, or industry training. A common principle could be the importance of the facilitator.  The facilitator actively guides and questions students as the students work toward a common goal.  All are training a certain skill or concept.    
Several cooperative learning strategies were provided in the notes and when compared to the other theories the purpose and use is vague.  Cooperative learning should be set up in smaller, heterogeneous groups so students can help one another understand course content.  Individual roles are assigned and positive interdependence is promoted.  I feel cooperative learning is a concept I have heard repetitively my entire life as a student and teacher.  This concept and the strategies are implemented almost daily in my classes.  I can probably bet most K-12 classroom teachers do as well. 
I was really interested when reading the various theories.  I’m thinking to myself the whole time, YES… this is what I believe in!  This is the part of teaching that I enjoy and why I teach Marketing.   I believe in the fact that students should be able to implement prior knowledge into real-world situations and as a teacher I should be able to create those opportunities.  We can’t always “spoon-feed”.  Teachers should facilitate discussions through higher-order thinking questions and provide scaffolding that guide’s individual student learning and motivation. 
All of the theories for cooperative learning environments could be modified and implemented in my classes.  The major barriers I see is class size (approx. 30) and the courses have a state exam, therefore I’m usually pushed for time to cover all course objectives. 
Several web tools could be utilized if turning the strategies into web modules.  Tools such as Skype, elluminate live or Google hangout can be used for group discussions or meetings and the facilitator can be involved as well.  Google Docs, Blogger or Diigo can be used for groups to share with each other links or resources as they work toward resolving problems.   We have Gaggle in my district so students can chat and/or e-mail and I could upload resources for the class. And always You Tube can provide instruction or be utilized to answer the “so-what” questions, provide the modeling for “apprentice-like” situations, or state the problem for PBL. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that cooperative learning has been the dominant group based learning design over the years. It wasn’t until recently that Problem Based Learning was used for group projects in high schools. I know that elementary schools are starting to use and encourage project based learning groups. I agree that all of these learning designs prepare students for work in the workplace. I personally think that some of the barriers are time for planning and implementation and individual student accountability. Do you see any barriers with these learning designs?

    ReplyDelete